Hi,

On 06.07.2018 00:28, Jason Ekstrand wrote:
On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 2:18 PM, Jason Ekstrand <ja...@jlekstrand.net <mailto:ja...@jlekstrand.net>> wrote:
[...]
        >> Optimizing for the latter case is an essentially
        >> heuristic assumption that needs to be verified experimentally.  Have
you
        >> tested the effect of this pass on non-DX workloads extensively?
        >>

        > Yes, it is a trade-off.  No, I have not done particularly extensive
        > testing.  We do, however, know of non-DXVK workloads that would
benefit
        > from this.  I believe Manhattan is one such example though I have not
yet
        > benchmarked it.

        You should grab some numbers then to make sure there are no
        regressions...

    I'm working on that.  Unfortunately the perf system is giving me
    trouble so I don't have the numbers yet.

        But keep in mind that the i965 scheduler is already
        performing a similar optimization (locally, but with cycle-count
        information).  This will only help over the existing
        optimization if the
        shaders that represent a bottleneck in Manhattan have sufficient
        control
        flow for the basic block boundaries to represent a problem to the
        (local) scheduler.

    I'm not sure about the manhattan shader but the Skyrim shader does
    have control flow which the discard has to get moved above.

I have results from the perf system now and somehow this pass makes manhattan noticeably worse.  I'll look into that.

Note: All the more complex GfxBench tests use discard:
        Egypt, T-Rex, Manhattan, CarChase, AztecRuins...

(Most of the other benchmarks we're running, don't use them.)

        - Eero