On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 12:45 PM Neil Roberts <nrobe...@igalia.com> wrote:

> Ilia Mirkin <imir...@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > Are you sure? It works fine for me... I'm not against fixing it to be
> > "t", but the current contents definitely worked fine for me. (As I
> > recall, I may be the one who checked this file in.)
>
> Yes, I’m sure. If you type “true” and then do C-x C-e to evaluate it
> then Emacs gives a void-variable error. If I leave it as “true” in the
> file then it does indeed indent without tabs. Also if I do C-h v it says
> the value is nil, whereas if I change the .dir-local.el to “t” then the
> indentation works properly and the variable help says its value comes
> from the .dir-locals.el. I wonder if you have something else in your
> setup that is setting it?

Perhaps. It's the default, right?

> I notice that there are some other files with the same problem. It might
> be worth fixing them all in one patch.
>
> $ git grep 'indent-tabs-mode *\. *true'
> src/gallium/drivers/freedreno/.dir-locals.el:  (indent-tabs-mode . true)
> src/gallium/drivers/r600/.dir-locals.el:  (indent-tabs-mode . true)
> src/gallium/drivers/radeon/.dir-locals.el:  (indent-tabs-mode . true)
> src/gallium/drivers/radeonsi/.dir-locals.el:  (indent-tabs-mode . true)
> src/mesa/drivers/dri/nouveau/.dir-locals.el:  (indent-tabs-mode . true)

These might have a common source... although, HAH! IT WASN'T ME!
Michel in 8d0a1a6bc05a set it to true, I probably copied, and am so
used to emacs errors that I didn't even notice. Indents worked, so I
was happy.

Yes, fixing these all is probably a good move. I don't think there are
a lot of emacs users in mesa.

  -ilia