On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 2:28 AM Gert Wollny <gw.foss...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 29.11.2018, 17:44 +0000 schrieb Emil Velikov:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I can see why people may opt to not use or maintain the autotools
> > build. Although I would kindly ask that we do not remove it just yet.
>
> I second that, I think the process of removing autotools should be a
> two-step procedure. i.e. prior to ripping autotools support out there
> should be one or two releases that deprecates it, e.g. by changing
> configure that it (1) needs an extra flag to run, and (2) when run
> without this flag it would just print a message about the meson build
> system, the deprecation of autotools (making it clear when it will be
> removed), and information how to still run autotools with this extra
> flag. If qwe
>
> A rationale is that with a release that only has mesa there is a high
> chance that people not directly involved with the project, and that
> don't follow git but only use the releases hit corner cases when
> building mesa that we or maintainers for distributions might not be
> aware of. Still having something around that is known to work would be
> good for them, so they can report a bug against the meson build system
> and still get their work done by easily switching to the autotools for
> the time being.

I've been using Meson to build Mesa in Gentoo for a ~6 months now, and
I've reported (and Dylan has fixed) a handful of corner case bugs.
Dylan is super responsive, usually having a fix within a day. It's
been great, really.

And we've been discussing removing autotools for more than a year now.

I think we've been plenty conservative and there's nothing to be
gained / no problems to be avoided by delaying further. (And again, if
someone comes out of the woodwork with a bug in the Meson build, Dylan
will fix it within a day in my experience)