On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 8:54 AM Eero Tamminen <eero.t.tammi...@intel.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 17.12.2018 8.08, Marek Olšák wrote:
> [...]
> > I think one of the serious usability issues is that environment
> > variables such as CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and PKG_CONFIG_PATH are not
> > saved by meson for future reconfigures.
>
> I don't know what Meson is supposed to do, but to me that would be
> a bug in a build tool.
>
> Re-configure is supposed to adapt SW to the changes in the build
> environment, and environment variables are part of that (along with
> command line options and SW installed to to the system).  Build
> configure tool deciding to "remember" some of those things instead
> of checking the new situation, seems like a great opportunity for
> confusion.

I think both ways of looking at this particular issue are at least
partially valid and this is exactly why meson recommends you don't set
those options via environment variables.  Even with autotools provides a
mechanism to set those things as part of the command (by putting CFLAGS= as
a parameter) rather than the environment.  If you pay attention to the
command in config.log (and the one you use for reconfigure), it moves them
to the explicit argument format.  I think the real answer here is to tell
people to stop using CFLAGS in the environment.

--Jason