On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 6:53 PM Ilia Mirkin <imir...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 6:40 PM Gert Wollny <gw.foss...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ilia,
> >
> > Am Sonntag, den 16.12.2018, 12:40 -0500 schrieb Ilia Mirkin:

> > [...]
> > > If the concern is that there are 2 build systems and it's unclear
> > > which to use, I'd definitely err on the side of making meson the one
> > > requiring extra hoops to jump through.
> > >

> > I think Jason already pointed out that this patch doesn't remove
> > anything. If you have followed the threads you've seen that I'm also
> > not exactly pushing for removing autotools, but I think since it is
> > going to happen anyway, it would be best to give everyone a little more
> > incentive to try out meson so that hopefully all the remaining issue
> > are brought up and can be fixed, before autotools is removed in a
> > stable release.
>
> Yeah, I totally see that you're not removing autotools with this
> patch. I do see that you're making it harder to use though (i.e.
> indicating to users that it's not the #1 way to do things). This
> should only be done when it's ready to be deprecated. The argument
> I've been making is that it's not. I've outlined some things that I
> think are important to fix in meson in another thread.

You've said Meson's not ready given X, Y, and Z use cases. I've noted
that some of those use cases were not reported earlier because the
users had not given Meson a try until we began discussing removing
autotools. This patch attempts to simply inform a larger group of
users that are not subscribed to mesa-dev@ that the intention is for
autotools to be removed.

Dylan is working to fix X, Y, and Z, but there's a reasonable chance
that a user who wasn't subscribed to mesa-dev@ might find problems A,
B, and C only after he's forced to switch to Meson. This patch is the
only thing that's been proposed so far to communicate with those
users. Without some required interaction on the users part we will
fail to communicate with some users and we'll be right back where we
are now.

WTF would you have us do?