Hello, first post.

I would like to ask about the status of EGL support in mesa for MacOS systems,
whether it is mature and robust and usable at present for software builds. I
know it can be toggled on in the mesa build on Darwin systems, and it
generates. EGL headers and libraries. But is seems to be little used at
present, as far as I can see.

Why:

I help maintain ports at MacPorts. Many of these use the gtk3 x11 version of
the software, using an x11 server like xorg-server or XQuartz to display them.
(A lesser number of software projects can use the gtk3 quartz interface
instead.)

Lately, perhaps related to wayland, it seeems a number of software projects, eg
gtk4, have been written assuming that x11 software will have EGL headers and
libraries available, with GLX as a fallback.

If there are no EGL headers and support libraries available, these projects
don’t readily compile without a fair bit of surgery to #ifdef out the assumed
EGL support. It would be much easier to just use EGL instead, from mesa or
otherwise, if it is robust.

Thanks,

Ken