Am 28.09.2014 um 22:13 schrieb Ilia Mirkin:
On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.veli...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 28/09/14 20:08, Emil Velikov wrote:
On 28/09/14 19:04, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.veli...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
This, however, has nothing to do with mesa. When I set --prefix,
that's saying "hey, install here". Not "hey, install here for most
things, but actually overwrite my system install for other things".

The point is if we are to revert this, we have to nuke the equivalent
omx and va ones. Afaics there is no middle ground - either we keep the
commit or add some default and hope that distros and anyone building
mesa will bother correcting their config. Are you volunteering to hold
everyone's hand during the transition ?

Had this idea, but I'm not too trilled about it:
Default = blank, and error out if the user did not set it. The error
message will state how to get it of course :)
This approach is not ideal but in a way it covers the "all must adhere
prefix" and prevents the case of xx reports on the topic "vdpau/omx is
broken".

Thoughts ?
What was wrong with the thing we did before that worked fine for
everyone in all cases? Use ${prefix}/lib/vdpau, allow people to
override if they want something funky?

The issue with that is the same as with OMX, it just doesn't work for all distributions.

Debian/Ubuntu for example installs things into /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/vdpau/ and that's exactly what moduledir in vdpau.pc is pointing to. We could do something like ${libdir}/vdpau instead, but I think that is similar broken since it assumes that the module directory is named "vdpau".

How about we just use whatever is defined in the pkg-config files as long as no prefix is given to configure and fallback to the hardcoded names when the user specifies it manually?

Regards,
Christian.