On 03/03/15 12:31, Jose Fonseca wrote:
On 27/02/15 15:16, Jose Fonseca wrote:
As we're gaining momentum cleanup Mesa code, I think it would help if we
also removed some stale components.

What do people feel about removing:

- src/mesa/drivers/windows/gdi -- the old SW rasterizer for Windows -- I
haven't used in a very long time, and given that the old SW rasterizer
is so far behind compared gallium based softpipe/llvmpipe rasterizers,
it's hard to imagine this will ever be useful again

- src/gallium/drivers/rbug: -- do people use it? does it work?  it
predates apitrace GL + GUI, which sort of enables a lot of the same
things, but without the issue of having to hit moving target, which is
what gallium interfaces are

- src/gallium/state_trackers/vega/,src/mapi/vgapi/ -- OpenVG API seems
to have dwindled away. I recall Zack himself saying that much. The code
would still be interesting if we wanted to implement NV_path_rendering
[1], but given the trend of the next gen graphics APIs, it seems
unlikely that this becomes ARB or core.

- src/gallium/state_trackers/egl/ -- yeah, I know I was against it, but
since then I discovered WGL/GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile, and the
odds of us (VMware) needing this again are dimmer than last time, so I
have to admit it does seem unlikely we or anybody will need it again,
and we can always revert it from history..

Anything else?

Thanks for all the replies.  So in summary, I'll post patches to remove:

- src/mesa/drivers/windows/gdi

- src/gallium/state_trackers/vega/,src/mapi/vgapi/

- src/gallium/state_trackers/egl/ plus whatever modules get orphaned as
result of that

I've prototyped this in

  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~jrfonseca/mesa/log/?h=remove-st-egl

The changes are massive, so I'm not sure it's even worth spamming the list with them.

Could you please give a look and let me know if there are any concerns?

The only snafu is Android.mk -- it will be broken with gallium drivers until somebody familiar with that infrastructure updates it to use egl_dri2. But it should build fine without gallium drivers.

Jose