> It's not something any of the developers here have a lot of experience
> with, but it's been seen as a 'future task' for quite a while - if you
> can demonstrate something which works well and is stable and nobody has
> to worry too much about - and perhaps can co-exist with the existing
> setup in the meantime - and didn't get in the developers' way - and
> didn't slow compilation times (I'm talking about that libtool thing) -
> and maybe made the coffee and could tell a good story - well then I
> think you'd have a good chance of success...

 Well, the AI is still infantile but the coffee smells good :-)

 The first experimental patch is now available from

 http://picasso.ffii.org/mesa/mesa-ac.diff.gz

 I supports 3Dnow, x86 assembler, X11, Glide, GGI, SVGAlib,
 OSmesa and should work on most Unix-ish platforms.

 After you have applied the patch you'll have to chmod +x
 the files bootstrap, config.guess, config.sub,
 ltconfig and ltmain.sh (the latest libtool 1.3.2a
 is included).

 To generate the configure script and Makefile.in's
 you'll need autoconf 2.13 and automake 1.4.
 Just execute ./bootstrap and it will create them for you.
 Whenever you make larger changes to configure.in or
 a Makefile.am you should execute this script to regenerate
 the other files.

 Then you can use ./configure (configure --help prints some
 help, INSTALL contains more detailed information for the user).
 If you want mesa.conf to be installed in /etc you should
 pass --sysconfdir=/etc to configure.
 "make" builds Mesa and GLU, "make install" installs them.
 "make check" builds the demos and "make exec" can be used
 to execute them.

 A distributable snapshot that was generated using "make dist"
 is available from

 http://picasso.ffii.org/mesa/mesa-ac.tar.gz

 Please test it.
 Thanks.