From: Thomas Thorne [mailto:thomas.tho...@net2edge.com]
Sent: den 20 september 2016 11:29
To: Lantz Johan <johan.la...@sigmaconnectivity.se>;
meta-freescale@yoctoproject.org
Subject: RE: Cellular modem support for IMX7 Linux distribution

Hi Johan,

I am looking into something similar for the LS1021 IOT and TWR systems.  If you
have found any general Linux tools that might be useful I would be interested
to hear about them (possibly by direct email if discussing such things is bit
off topic for this email list).

I reached the same conclusion as you; that connecting the device over USB, PCIe
and UART to with a socket that could be accesses via an application or command
line should be possible.  Most Modems I was looking it used an AT command set.
I am not aware of any widely availed AT command libraries, so if further
research does not reveal any I will implement the handful of commands I need in
my own application code.

I have got such a modem to work under desktop Linux as a USB device.  This
seems build in to the standard Ubuntu desktop.  I can see a series of UARTs and
a new Network point.  From there I have mounted the modem onto the USB port of
a LS1021-TWR board and got the community build firmware to come up.  I just got
back from holiday and cannot recall if I saw the new UARTs and a network device
on the target.  Whether I get that working or not my next step will probably be
to try getting things working with the modem connected via Mini PCI.

Regards,
Thomas A. F. Thorne<mailto:thomas.tho...@net2edge.com>  Software Engineer
Net2Edge<http://www.net2edge.com/>