IMAGE_FSTYPES covers this, just grep for it and you'll see how other
machine configurations use it. I believe everyone uses "wic.gz" now

Also, core-image-minimal is very minimal. So minimal you'd not think it was
usable in normal situations. Try out core-image-base instead if you want a
more fully functional image that supports more than just, well, the bare
minimum.