With update to yocto2.3 I started using the vanilla 4.9 kernel. (currently out
of tree, as I don't know howto build a recipe to build from kernel.org
sources).
This works for me with minor changes (backporting the spi-zynq-qspi.c).

But I found a strange problem. The tool "fw_setenv" (out of u-boot utils)
doesn't work anymore - after usage I get a destroyed environment. ("fw_readenv
works - but only until usage of fw_setenv).
I checked a few things, but I end up, that just changing the kernel is the
issue (neither u-boot, nor the utils, nor the devicetree). I am wonding what
can be the reason for that? Is some kernel setting missing?