To me it does not make any sense to merge them. One would use the OSS flow and thus only meta-xilinx, or the Xilinx SDK toolflow which is meta-petalinux and meta-xilinx-tools (I think). I don't see the added value in merging them, it will only add to the confusion, and pollute one's environment by dragging in "meta" layers that aren't actually active.