Hi all,

I managed to get somewhere, but u-boot is now broken (but not clear how).
Log file: https://gist.github.com/aebae13e9054472e6c584cef6eb80912

I refactored my bbappend to look like this:
https://github.com/kratsg/meta-l1calo/blob/appendFiles/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-xlnx_2017.1.bbappend
.
Specifically, to add these lines instead:

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"
SRC_URI_append += "file://machine.h"
SRC_URI_append += "file://defconfig"

do_copy_configs () {
    cp ${WORKDIR}/defconfig ${S}/configs/${MACHINE}_defconfig
    cp ${WORKDIR}/machine.h ${S}/include/configs/${MACHINE}.h
}

do_patch_append() {
    bb.build.exec_func('do_copy_configs', d)
}

the SRC_URI_append was to get the files/${MACHINE}/machine.h and
files/${MACHINE}/defconfig copied over correctly. This could probably be
renamed to include the machine in the name of the file itself to handle
conflicts later.. unless there's a better option?

Any ideas? Note that at this point, it seems like the files are getting
copied over correctly, so not sure why u-boot is complaining...

--
Giordon Stark