Simplest way to reduce CPU usage is to use video-for-Linux directly (it's quite simple actually). This will give you access to the "raw" stream from the camera, which is usually in YUV or MJPEG format (OpenCV forcibly converts everything to RGB which makes for easy programming but horrible CPU consumption).

If the USB camera provides MJPEG or H264/H265 data, you can indeed use the VCU to decode it. In theory.

For YUV data, you can use the MALI GPU or the programmable logic to convert it to RGB (if you need RGB data to begin with...). The VCU isn't much use there.

For further CPU reduction, you'll have to use something else than USB (e.g. mipi, dvi, hdmi, parallel data) directly into logic so the CPU isn't involved in the data transfer at all.