> This ought to provide better performance and scalability
> which is less dependent on inbox size.  Xapian does not
> seem optimized for some queries used by the WWW homepage,
> Atom feeds, XOVER and NEWNEWS NNTP commands.

So looking at the traffic I get on v1 public-inbox.org, less
than 1% of the requests would need to hit Xapian with this
change.  Add to that, Over (or Skeleton before it) is around 7%
the size of a compacted Xapian DB.

> This can actually make Xapian optional for NNTP usage,
> and allow more functionality to work without Xapian
> installed.

Sometime in the future it would make sense to decouple them and
allow space-constrained systems to run full NNTP and a larger
chunk of the PSGI (HTTP) code without Xapian.