A few maybe Irrelevant corrections to my previous post.
You can have multiple MC engines running on the same Mac at the same time
if they have different names and do different things.
That is in case you are running a server and use MC for cgi (engine
name-MC.cgi)  you can still open MetaCard PPC
and do your work. Also stacks that do cgi work CAN work in the background
(not as background applications) and probably can be invisible.

>I'm attempting to prototype a simple database application in Hypercard.
>What I'm planning is a client-server database (yes, I think big) and I
>was wondering whether Metacard might be better suited for my purposes.
>(Frankly, I doubt I can get Hypercard to do it without a database
>application behind it.)
>
>My questions are:
>
>Can multiple copies of Metacard access simultaneously a single stack
>with read and write access? I'll handle record locking myself.
>
>If not, can I use a single Metacard stack to hold the database, with
>other stacks running as seperate sessions querying it?
>
>And finally, as my least prefered solution, can a Metacard handle be set
>to run in the background? I doubt this is possible, without scripting
>something from "on idle" handlers, but I just thought I'd ask.
>
>Otherwise, if anyone can suggest a way I could use Metacard to develop a
>client-server application, I'd be greatful.
>

>--
>Steven D'Aprano

>M.B. Sales Pty Ltd    Ph:  +61 3 9460-5244
>A.C.N. 005-964-796    Fax: +61 3 9462-1161

Regards, Andu