On the Mac, an application can function perfectly well as an extension
based on a few requirements and modifications: the application must have
no regular windows, only floating windoids (if anything); the creator
type must be set to "appe"; if I remember correctly, you must edit the
application's resources to set it as background only. This may sound like
a hassle, but it is a way for MetaCard (and other development
environments) to build extensions that are indistinguishable from other
extensions. In fact, several Apple "extensions" are really
background-only apps.

Is there a way to do something like this on the PC? Is it possible with a
MetaCard executable? Is there a way to minimize the memory usage of
MetaCard? I'm thinking of the fact that a bare minimum MetaCard
application on the Mac wants about two megabytes just to get started. If
that's the limit, then no problem, I can deal with it. But if there's a
way to shave that number down...

Thanks to any who know...

gc