On Monday, Oct 25 1999, Geoff Canyon wrote:

> Sorry, I wasn't clear before. Here's the scenario:
>
> 1. Joe, of Joe's Diner, downloads my application, MetaApp.
>
> 2. Joe licenses MetaApp from me.
>
> 3. This gives Joe the right to modify MetaApp slightly and distribute it.
> MetaApp is a way for Joe to display information placed on his web site to
> his clients in a custom environment. MetaApp downloads everything it
> needs from Joe's web site, on the fly, but it needs to know where Joe's
> web site is to get started. One way to do this would be for Joe to
> include a preference file with his copy of MetaApp. But I want to
> simplify things for Joe, so:
>
> 4. Joe uses a second MetaCard application I provide to him,
> MetaAppCustomizer. He enters his web site's address into
> MetaAppCustomizer, and maybe a logo, and points it at his licensed copy
> of MetaApp. MetaAppCustomizer then modifies MetaApp, hard coding Joe's
> web address and logo into it.
>
> 5. From then on, Joe only needs to distribute the one file, MetaApp, to
> his customers--his copy points to his web site.
>
> Is step 4 easy, hard, or somewhere in between? I'm hoping that the object
> structure of MetaApp can be exposed to MetaAppCustomizer, so all I have
> to do is something like,
>
> set the baseAddress of theAppFile to "http://www.joesdiner.com"

I think my previous repy covered all of this?  Either the customizer is a
stack, in which case the main application anticipates it and downloads it or
opens it from disk at the right time, or its a standalone, in which case it
must be made to open one of the stacks in the main app that has been saved
in a seperate file (not part of the executable).

To get a better idea: try building a standalone that goes to a second stack
in a file, and place a button in that stack to go to a stack in a URL.  In
the stack you place on the web, have it check the openStacks on preOpenCard,
find the stack that is stored on disk that originally connected to the web,
change something about it (e.g. the backColor) then save it.

Regards,

Kevin

> Thanks
>
> gc
>
> Geoff Canyon
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Your child can learn to read using the classics of children's literature.
> Check out C.D. Caterpillar: <http://www.inspiredlogic.com/cd/>

Kevin Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.xworlds.com/>
Cross Worlds Computing, MetaCard Distributors, Custom Development.
Tel: +44 (0)131 672 2909.  Fax: +44 (0)1639 830 707.