John Johnston wrote:

> Have you discovered any HC friendly approaches to the program? (if you
> feel like sharing)

Unfortunately, learning MC has been a steep and painful experience. I
think the main problem for me has been that it is similar enough to
HyperTalk that I expect it to act like HyperCard -- and it doesn't. The
differences are mostly subtle and insidious, except for the few that are
blatantly anti-intuitive. I think the user interface is one of the worst
I've ever seen. I don't know any easy way to learn the program really,
except to just wade in and expect frustration for a while, I guess.
Adequate documentation would help a lot, but it doesn't exist. The thing
that has helped me the most has been reading the MC mailing list. There
is a lot of useful information there.

> On the HC front, i posted a letter to S. jobs with a copy to the list
> recently and thought you might (in confidence) like to know Kevin Calhoun
> mailed me asking what kind of drag'Ndrop I wanted in HC! Flabbergasted, I
> replied all sorts/any kind. He did not reply to that mail, but I am
> hoping it is a good sign?

Interesting. I don't know what it means, but I probably wouldn't read
too much into it. Kevin has never given up on HyperCard and has been
fighting internally as hard as we have been fighting externally. Maybe
he has something up his sleeve, though we shouldn't speculate. Don't
feel bad that he hasn't answered you -- that's pretty much his style. He
gets mountains of email and tends to avoid as much of it as he can.

Congrats on the web debut of ScreenCloze -- Fletcher Hosmer had only
good things to say about it, and said the program helped "his" kids a
lot. You've probably figured out that he was the guy who commissioned
the Simple Adding and Subtracting Machine too.

Jacque

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay        |             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
HyperActive Software          |                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]