Hi David,

David Bovill wrote:

> Mind sharing some thoughts on how it would be possible to use Metacard to
> develop "open?" distributed computing, which is (pretty) secure?
>
> What techniques could be/are generally used?
>
> What features/externals would Metacard need to implement to acheive these?

... and you'd like that in 18 words or less, right? ;-)

In a nutshell, I was mostly wondering aloud how easily we can create MC
apps to take up residence on networks, and maybe become a new network
layer - possibly the layer you plug your toaster into. I don't have a
lot of answers at the moment, mostly just ideas and "leaps of faith".
(But if an idea is compelling enough, it will give birth to answers!)

One thing I have to say:
I think ScottCo's (MC Corp's) decision to implement sockets rather than
protocols is solid evidence of their vision and foresight. It'll make
developers (us) work harder initially, but how else would we learn this
stuff? As more of us do the homework on internet standards and
protocols, we'll be able to build upon our knowledge in ways we
currently can't imagine. Cool, huh?

Phil

--
Phil Davis