On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Peter Reid wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've developed a stack which plays several QuickTime clips (typically
> about 30 secs long each).  When I run it on my PI-266 MMX/128Mb
> laptop running Win 98 2nd Ed., it runs fine.  Similarly when I run it
> on a Win NT 4 SP5 system, no problems.  However, when I run it on a
> colleague's PII-333/128Mb laptop running Win 98 (original, I think,
> designated: 4.10.1998) it freezes the computer if I attempt to use
> any of the objects on the QT controller.  It doesn't freeze
> immediately, only when I attempt to click on a MetaCard object other
> than the player object.  When frozen, the only solution is to switch
> off the power and reboot.
>
> I have done the following to try to eliminate the problem without success:
> - run Norton utils to check that the laptop is as clean as possible
> (Disk, Registry, Swap space, etc.)
> - un-installed all parts of QuickTime and reinstalled a fresh copy of
> QT 4.02 using the same installer that I used for the other two Win
> systems.
>
> My laptop is basically an earlier version of my colleague's with the
> casing and many of the sub-systems the same.  The only real different
> is that I've upgraded from the original Win 95 to Win 98SE.
>
> I'm using MC2.3 Gamma release by the way.
>
> Any help/ideas/etc?

When looking for bugs related to display on a Windows 98 system, the
place to start is in the screen drivers, most of which are obscenely
buggy.  The fact that you get a total system lockup is even better
evidence because neither QT nor MetaCard should be able to cause this,
whereas it's a hallmark characteristic of a driver bug.

So, make sure you've got the latest drivers for that graphics card,
try turning off acceleration in the "Display" and/or "System" control
panels, and if all else fails, try swapping the graphics card with
another brand or model.
  Regards,
    Scott