This is not strictly a metacard question, but I'm hoping that someone
might be able to help...

I'm wanting to post some data from a Metacard stack to a web server,
simulating a web page which normally submits a form.  The form being
submitted has the following data items:

<FORM METHOD="POST"  ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data"
ACTION='/bin/common/externallinks_add.pl'>
<input type='hidden' name='course_id' value='CI_Exchange'>
<input type='hidden' name='area' value='externallinks'>
<input type='hidden' name='parent_id' value="Top">
<input type=hidden name='type' value='D'>
<input type=hidden name='parent_id' value='Top'>
<input type='text' name='title' size='50'>
<input type='text' name='url' size='50' value="http://">
<textarea name='description' rows='5' cols='45' wrap='soft'>
<input type='radio' checked name='available_ind' value='Y'>
<input type='radio' name='available_ind' value='N'>
<input type='radio' name='launch_ind' value='Y'>
<input type='radio' checked name='launch_ind' value='N'>

Assume I create some fields and buttons in MC that simulate the form.

Next I would use MC "post" command to send this data to the server.

How should the data be formatted before submission?  If I could find
out exactly what the web browser was sending (how it formulates the
data) I could figure this out for myself, if anyone knows of a web
site/tools that could help here please, fire away! ( I found an echo
cgi script on my Apple web server, but the formatting of the data
that this returns looks strange and I'm a bit suspicious the web
server has reformatted it somehow.)

After posting the data the server would reply and I would read the
result from the it variable, although this seems to time out very
quickly returning nothing.  All this makes me wonder if perhaps it
would be better to use socket commands to post the data?

Any ideas or working examples would be appreciated.

Regards,

Rodney
Rodney Tamblyn
Higher Education Development Centre
University of Otago, PO Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand
ph +64 3 479 7580 Fax +64 3 479 5194