On 3/15/00 9:36 AM, Scott Raney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>There are no other ways.  The MacOS file system has three places where
>it can store information in a file, and DOS and UNIX only have one.
>And there's no way to make one thing do the work of three.

I know it doesn't help now, but MacOS X will end this. Its foundation is
UNIX, and as such, it supports only one place, as do DOS and other UNIX
OSes. Instead, MacOS X will use the concept I think they call a package,
which is really a folder pretending to be a file. The folder can contain
multiple files, but not appear to be anything other than a single
document/application to an ordinary user. That way it can store any
number of different pieces and formats of information, without being
incompatible.

Scott, will it be a big deal for MetaCard to support packages? I don't
know if any other UNIX (besides NeXTStep/OpenStep) uses this concept.

gc