Hi guys,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> << Success! Well, not really. I gleaned from
>
> http://www.sch.bme.hu/misc/oracle8/network/a58230/ch10.htm#423022
>
> that Oracle databases _may_ be accessed on port 1575. >>
>
> Well you're doing better than me. I've downloaded megabytes of ODBC
> documentation, open source ODBC stuff, etc, etc, and I haven't gleaned one
> bit that useful yet. If I ever have to look for documentation on Microsoft's
> site again, it will be much too soon.
> Anyway, I too am still looking and will continue to update on my progress.
> It's gotta be out there somewhere, and a port number is a small but useful
> start...
>
> Brian

If your only concern is Oracle, they have a bunch of ports registered with IANA.
Here's a loooong excerpt from the document:

-------(start of excerpt)----------

This file can be viewed in its entirety (340K/8176 lines) at:
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/port-numbers

PORT NUMBERS

The port numbers are divided into three ranges: the Well Known Ports,
the Registered Ports, and the Dynamic and/or Private Ports.

The Well Known Ports are those from 0 through 1023.

The Registered Ports are those from 1024 through 49151

The Dynamic and/or Private Ports are those from 49152 through 65535

WELL KNOWN PORT NUMBERS

The Well Known Ports are assigned by the IANA and on most systems can
only be used by system (or root) processes or by programs executed by
privileged users.

Ports are used in the TCP [RFC793] to name the ends of logical
connections which carry long term conversations.  For the purpose of
providing services to unknown callers, a service contact port is
defined.  This list specifies the port used by the server process as
its contact port.  The contact port is sometimes called the
"well-known port".

To the extent possible, these same port assignments are used with the
UDP [RFC768].

The assigned ports use a small portion of the possible port numbers.
For many years the assigned ports were in the range 0-255.  Recently,
the range for assigned ports managed by the IANA has been expanded to
the range 0-1023.

Port Assignments:

Keyword         Decimal    Description                     References
-------         -------    -----------                     ----------
sql*net          66/tcp    Oracle SQL*NET
sql*net          66/udp    Oracle SQL*NET
#                          Jack Haverty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

REGISTERED PORT NUMBERS

The Registered Ports are listed by the IANA and on most systems can be
used by ordinary user processes or programs executed by ordinary
users.

Ports are used in the TCP [RFC793] to name the ends of logical
connections which carry long term conversations.  For the purpose of
providing services to unknown callers, a service contact port is
defined.  This list specifies the port used by the server process as
its contact port.

The IANA registers uses of these ports as a convienence to the
community.

To the extent possible, these same port assignments are used with the
UDP [RFC768].

The Registered Ports are in the range 1024-49151.

Port Assignments:

Keyword         Decimal    Description                     References
-------         -------    -----------                     ----------
orasrv          1525/tcp    oracle
orasrv          1525/udp    oracle
tlisrv          1527/tcp    oracle
tlisrv          1527/udp    oracle
coauthor        1529/tcp    oracle
coauthor        1529/udp    oracle
rdb-dbs-disp    1571/tcp    Oracle Remote Data Base
rdb-dbs-disp    1571/udp    Oracle Remote Data Base
#                           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
oraclenames     1575/tcp    oraclenames
oraclenames     1575/udp    oraclenames
#                           P.V.Shivkumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
oraclenet8cman  1630/tcp  Oracle Net8 Cman
oraclenet8cman  1630/udp  Oracle Net8 Cman
#                         Tong-Ming Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
oracle-em1      1748/tcp    oracle-em1
oracle-em1      1748/udp    oracle-em1
#                           Bob Purvy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
oracle-em2      1754/tcp    oracle-em2
oracle-em2      1754/udp    oracle-em2
#                           Bob Purvy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
oracle-vp2      1808/tcp    Oracle-VP2
oracle-vp2      1808/udp    Oracle-VP2
#                           Craig Fowler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
oracle-vp1      1809/tcp    Oracle-VP1
oracle-vp1      1809/udp    Oracle-VP1
#                           Craig Fowler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
net8-cman       1830/tcp    Oracle Net8 CMan Admin
net8-cman       1830/udp    Oracle Net8 CMan Admin
#                           Shuvayu Kanjilal
oracle          2005/udp
giop            2481/tcp   Oracle GIOP
giop            2481/udp   Oracle GIOP
giop-ssl        2482/tcp   Oracle GIOP SSL
giop-ssl        2482/udp   Oracle GIOP SSL
ttc             2483/tcp   Oracle TTC
ttc             2483/udp   Oracel TTC
ttc-ssl         2484/tcp   Oracle TTC SSL
ttc-ssl         2484/udp   Oracle TTC SSL
#                          Chandar Venkataraman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

-------(end of excerpt)----------

--
Phil Davis