At 5:14 PM -0500 6/13/00, Jacqueline Landman Gay wrote:
>I've got a stack that repeatedly sets the filename property of various
>images. Is there a way to keep these in memory even after the image
>content changes so that, once loaded in, they are immediately available?
>Sort of a pre-buffer-and-store thing?
>
>I know I could store the images in the stack and set a button icon to
>use them instead, but there are almost a megabyte of images and the
>stack would get fairly bloated.

You can store image data in custom properties, so I guess you could
could roll-your-own buffer of sorts, for example storing the five
most recent images in custom properties. This is just a first thought
.. I'll leave you to work out the implementation details. :)

But a megabyte of image data doesn't seem too much these days (unless
the stack is already on the large size). An alternative to the button
approach is to put all the images into custom properties, and have a
single placeholder image. Then just "put" the custom properties into
the image object to display. I don't know the pros and cons of the
two approaches, but using a button to display an image has alway
struck me as odd. Nice to have the choice though.

Cheers
Dave Cragg