Hi, I share your interest in this area, so I'll throw in what I know. First
there are two (and a half) basic ways of getting MetaCard to do/serve CGI's.

    1) Install MetaCard as CGI engine for an existing HTTP server
    2) Use MetaCard as a server (see MCHTTP stack for skeleton)

The first depend on which platform your server is on, but you basically have
to install MetaCard on the machine that the server is on in the standard
kind of way (so that the server knows to handle the cgi scripts you install
with the MetaCard engine. This means letting the server know that scripts
with ".mt" extension or anything in so and so folder need to be treated as a
CGI and handled with Metacard. You then need to upload your script and
change their permissions in much the same way as if they were perl scripts.

The second route is the only one that will allow you to do flame thrower
like stuff (ie embedding scripts within the HTML itself), I'm working on
this (or something similar myself), and am currently looking for a permanent
independent server to use for the purpose. The MCHTTP server could interpret
the embedded code in the HTML/XML files before sending it back to the
browser, simply by using MetaCards built in replace/matchText/offset
functions to extract the script and then "doing" it. This would be a lot
slower than having Metacard "use" the scripts (as in the current MCHTTP
implementation).

What server do you have access to? If it is a Mac then as I understand it
the MCHTTP server is a little limited by OpenTransport, and the CGI
implementation has to differ (handling apple events) along the old lines of
using HyperCard or AppleScript CGI's...

Something like that...