>On 9/8/00 11:16 am, Peter Reid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>  I'm using player objects to show QuickTime movies in MC 2.3.1 for
>>  both Mac and Win.  The movies are about 1Mb in size and include voice
>>  as well as animated cartoons. The movies last about 30-50 secs. I
>>  have QuickTime 4.1 on both Mac and Win.
>>
>>  When I play a QT movie on the Mac and click on the pause button on
>>  the QT controller, it responds practically immediately.  However,
>>  when I do the same on the Win machine, there can be a long delay
>>  before it responds.  This can be as long as the remainder of the
>>  movie (up to 30 secs)!  Also, on the Mac I can single click on other
>>  objects and get an immediate respond.  On the Win machine, I have to
>>  click twice?!
>>
>>  The Win machine I'm using is a current P-III 700 laptop with 128Mb
>>  RAM, 18Gb disk running Win 98SE.  By comparison, the Mac I'm using is
>>  a G3/300, 128Mb RAM, 16Gb disk running MacOS 8.6.  So if anything,
>>  the Win machine should be at least twice as fast as the Mac (and is
>>  for many processor-intensive tasks - comparing the same stacks
>>  running on both platforms).
>>
>>  This sluggishness under Windows is a real problem as users have to
>>  wait an unknown amount of time for a response to the 'pause' and
>>  click twice to move off the player object, where they'd naturally
>>  want to click once.
>>
>>  Any ideas what the problem is and how I can get round it??
>
>This could be a problem with your machine or specifict setup, script, other
>software running, or suchlike.  Of course, it could be a bug somewhere.  If
>you like, you can email me a copy of the stack/movie off-list with an exact
>recipy for me to try and I can tell you if it happens here.  Might help
>track it down...
>
>Regards,
>
>Kevin

The sluggishness seems to be consistent across 2-3 PCs and seems to
get worse after I've run a few movies, so memory/virtual memory
problems look favourite!

The need to click twice (once to change focus from the QT player and
then to send mouseUp to target object) seems pretty consistent under
Windows and different to the Mac where a single click is always
enough.

I'll try to send you a small sample and recipe for you to investigate.

Cheers

Peter