On Sat, 12 Aug 2000 Michaael Walas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> While I'm at it, I have some animated gifs that display fine in
> MetaCard on Windows 98 (Via Virtual PC on a G4) but won't display
> properly on MacOS system 9, MetaCard 2.3.1 The gifs are "optimized"
> but Windows MetaCard can display them.and the Mac MetaCard can't
> (properly).  The gifs display properly on the Mac in the shareware
> program gifbuilder.  Do I have to take apart the gifs and reassemble
> them as "unoptimized" to get them to play on the Mac in MetaCard?
> I'm talkin' 75-100 animations so that doesn't sound like something I
> want to do.

Just a followup on this: He followed Kevin's advice and sent us the
GIF files.  The "optimization" technique used on these images is
really a bastardization of the GIF format: it uses the transparency
mask to store color information rather than what it was intended for.
While this sometimes results in smaller files, the animations must
always be rectangular and you can't move them while they're playing.
We put a hack in the engine to deal with this type of image awhile
back (set the "constantMask" property of the image to true), but I
recommend avoiding this type of "optimization" unless file size is the
#1 concern in your application.
  Regards,
    Scott