On the Mac you could get an AppleScript to dial out for you (for which I
guess you would need Tuviah & RunTime's external collection), is there a dll
or way to do the same thing on windows? Unix?

I'm guessing but it seems that a lot of people would like to be able to
create applications that use an internet connection when available,
prompting the user to dial out and connect. Seems like a nice "package" to
put together, so if anyone has any scripts or suggestions that work for
their platform, I'd be happy to put them together and mail the collection
back to anyone who would find them useful.