On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, David Bovill wrote:

> Lot's of philosophy here, which seems to go with everyone's previous user
> experience and background...
>
> But cutting through this there is a practical problem. If (as I do) you are
> interested in distributing information, to people in a number of separate
> stacks you want them to be able to open any of the stacks to launch the
> overall environment. if I open a Histopathology stack I want to launch the
> environment and start reading Histopathology, and so on for other stacks.

I'm not sure I follow this.  The problem is merely with opening the
Home stack which governs MetaCard's development environment, not
anything to do with distributing stacks that don't do this (as no
stack you distribute should need to do).

> I shouldn't have to drill down through the home stack and the environment
> shouldn't be broken if I inadvertently try to open the file I want to read.
> There has to be a way to do this, if not I'd have to go around putting
> yellow post -it-notes on all the computers saying "Please remember to...",
> or perhaps I should hide all the stacks I don't want people to open
> directly?

If you need to have other stacks open, you can just make sure they're
loaded in a preOpenStack or openStack handler....

> What happens if I want someone to open a document I email them (and they
> have some form of development environment - perhaps the Starter Kit), do I
> have to email them a standalone? Or do I have to remind them to open the
> development environment first (and not directly from the email client) each
> time I send them some information or they download a stack from a browser?

This is exactly the problem: if they have the Starter Kit and the
default is always to open it any time you open any other stack, you'd
always have to distribute standalones for all of your applications.
  Regards,
    Scott