I've used MetaCard rather extensively during the last 1.5 yrs to process
and analyze data for my dissertation (and to feed my 3d graphics hobby
addiction). I've avoided matLab entirely and opted for MetaCard because I
feel it is 'generically more useful'. In the process I've written many
handlers and functions to help with my multivariate analysis, many of which
rely on using 2d array objects. Its nice to see other people doing this and
I'd definitely like to see us pool our resouces so we don't have to
reinvent the wheel. Trading scripts and stacks would be nice BUT
incorporating our routines into the MC engine itself would definitely be
ideal, especially for speed when processing large arrays of data. I'd
appreciate receiving any stats libraries you might have and I'll try to put
mine up on the Web this week as I'm sure something in there will be of use
to someone. I'm especially proud of my "combinatorial" script which finds
all possible subsets of a set of "objects". It took me a week to figure
this one out and I believe I discovered a NEW algorithm in the process (I
think saturating my brain on "Pascal's Triangle" helped prime my thought
processes). Also, I think I might have a HyperCard stack somewhere that has
a solution for SVD, but I'm sure it won't involve MetaCard arrays. One
thing I'd love to see in the MC engine is a QUICK way to get the contents
of a large array OUT and put them in a text field.
Dave Jones
Dept. of Marine Biology & Fisheries
Univ. of Miami - RSMAS
4600 Rickenbacker CSWY