On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 Ben Rubinstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Is it possible to get a list of the character entities supported by htmlText
> (or a link to the reference used)?

I think the table came from the HTML 3.2 spec.

> Also, I have the impression that when non-ascii characters are found in the
> text which do not have a corresponding character entity name, they are
> mapped in some way to a particular character set, and then expressed as
> codes, eg "&#148;".  Is this in ISO-8859-1?  Eg if on the Mac you set the
> text of a field to "numtochar(165)", which is bullet, you'll find that the
> "htmlText" of the field is "&#149;".  Can Scott (or someone) confirm that
> this is what is happening, and what happens when there is no mapping for the
> character in the 'local' character set to the destination one (ISO-8859-1,
> if it is that)?

Yes, which is the same way HTML works.  And there is always a mapping
to some other character value, though not always the same character
glyph (or even to a printable character).  It uses the same tables as
the ISOToMac() and MacToISO() functions.  The same information is
presented graphically in the character chooser.
  Regards,
    Scott