--On Thursday, December 19, 2002 08:54:59 -0800 Scott Rossi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Recently, andu wrote:

I'd like to understand why people use javascript when they can do with
plain html.
Speaking for myself, Javascript allows me to script interactivity that is
not possible with straight HTML: functions, variables, image management,
etc.  The biggest issue to deal with is consistent (or inconsistent as it
were) support of the language across browsers/versions/platforms.  I've
built some fairly complex Javascripts myself and after wrestling with
these issues, it seems to me that Flash is really the way to go: a
self-contained environment that runs fairly consistently across most
browsers/versions/platforms.  Granted, Flash support may be absent on some
platforms/browsers, but if your goal is absolute accessibility everywhere,
you're pretty much limited to HTML images and text -- kind of like when
the Web browser was first introduced. :-)
If we talk about public web sites the goal should be "absolute accessibility everywhere". Unfortunately as long as somebody is going to make a buck out of it, html will never evolve and the public will be served only half. The excuse that the backward compatibility will sufer is false, people do upgrade when they have a reson.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director

Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design