On Tue, 08 Jul 2003,  Monte Goulding wrote:

> > a speaker of
> > Australian or Tamil English (the latter spoken around Madras) will
> > probably never understand a man from Texas.
>
> Hello Wilhelm
>
> I'm Australian and have spoken to a number of Texans and understand them
> perfectly well. Contrary to popular opinion, Australians are not a mutant
> race roaming around in the desert and riding kangaroos ;-)
>
> Anywayz I.. uh.. thing I'll garn mt Wuzza n Buzza dun tha Pub fa Beer
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Hello Monte,

While writing what you quoted above  I was actually thinking of your
reaction. Of course I was overstating to make my point. Australians -
especially with the added support of a good glass of wine from Barossa
Valley (brought there and cultivated at first by German settlers) - will
surely understand a number of dialects. I know this from my own
experience. The case of the man from Texas is more difficult and may be
worsened additionally by language content, but he has the option to try
California wine (brought there and cultivated at first by German
settlers) and thus advance on the road to international understanding.
So much for chauvinism.
My greatest challenge had been to understand friends in Clapham (South
London) who spoke a beautiful "sociolect"  not even mentioned by Prof.
Higgins.-

In the meantime, the world has turned upside down and the case of
customizing/customising Metacard assumes a new relevance.

I was happy to find the following statement (promise?) in the FAQ of
Kevin Millerīs takeover news:

" However, for those existing MetaCard customers that want
to continue to use the MetaCard tools, we will arrange an outside group
of volunteer developers to maintain the existing MetaCard user interface

so that they may do so."

I very much hope that such a group will come into existence *and* will
not only be tolerated, but also supported by the new joint
Metacard/Revolution team.

Cheers to you,

Wilhelm Sanke