If you just want to email from a CGI on a machine your control, you may want to try using shell() with sendmail.
What platform? OS X has a broken sendmail configuration, but there are article on Apple and Oreilly sites for fixing it.

HTH,
Brian

So I tried setting up a form on my web page via CGI, Metacard can take them to that form and they can fill it out. Trouble so far is that either I can get the form to update the info on a web page, but not email me. Or I can get the form to email me, but not update the data of a web page. It needs to be both so that I can verify that they did indeed enter their name as it appears on my list.

Any suggestions?

(Specific suggestions... with actual usable code for either Metacard, SMTP, or CGI much appreciated.)