Robert Brenstein wrote:
Why did you add the "library" as plugin type?

Because two people presented an argument that there may be times when a stack should only be libraried at startup but not when opening the stack. Moreoever, most good libraries are designed to be initialized with "start using" called from an app, and have no auto-initialization of their own.

But this is exactly the same argument for the "active" plugin type. Is the fact that I am the only one advocating it the issue? Or is it that I am the only one who sees the utility of it?

But what I do is completely irrelevant here. This project is a community effort, so when a feature is proposed and the majority vote in favor of it, someone must write even if some will never use it.

I don't see other open source projects run really so democratically but I have actively participated only in a couple :) There was a brief but interesting thread on these issues on HyperCard list just recently.

Anyway, I think by now I have outlined and argued all changes I envisioned for the next beta. A few people suggested to continue with the workabout solutions using either auto-open or library routes instead of supporting "active" plugins explicitely. Only Richard discussed the operation of Plugin Manager self. The majority has been quite silent.

So, should I bother to post what I suggested as b5? Or should we continue with b4? If everyone is happy with the way b4 works, I will shut up and just make my own version as Richard suggested :)

Robert Brenstein