Thanks to Ray for bringing this up
and thanks to Mark for his perfectly succulent getprops example...
6 years later, and now I get it! how getprops works...
who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Hi Xavier,

Glad to see you are now taking a serious interest in getProp.

To answer the question on the difference between

getProp someProperty
and
function someFunction

This is obvious. The first let you manipulate a property, that is an attribute of an object (group, button, graphic, etc.) layed on the screen. Attributes refer to what the object look like, its appearance on the screen. The second let you run a function. A function is something that will transform some data. These data can be attributes of an object. For instance, you can convert radians into degrees or RGB colors into HSV. You can also manipulate information about the objects on the screen.

objects pGroup example, best is to use:
 function objects pGroup
  repeat with x = 1 to number of controls of pGroup
    put the name of control x of pGroup & return after myList
  end repeat
  sort myList
  return myList
 end objects

Personally, I only use getProp to go through a sequence of value assignment. Take the value if there is any provided. If there is none fetch a default value for the property if I have defined any, and utlimately, assign a default value of my own:

getProp gridColor
  put the gridColor of me into tValue
if tValue is empty then put the defaults["gridColor"] of me into tValue
  if tValue is empty then put 127,164,198 into tValue
  return tValue
end gridColor

Checking that the value is a well formed color value take place somewhere else (in the "controller" part of the program) -- I got quite fond of the MVC approach, recently.

Playing around with getProp, setProp, I haven't found an answer to this yet. Is there a way to capture getProp, setProp calls?

I want to be able to write

                set the dontexistyet of me to something

and get to know that I tried to set a property that doesn't exist yet. Try/catch doesn't capture this. I could of course check whether the property is within "the customProperties " of the object. But this requires a priori testing. I prefer to be notified after trying to use it. Any clue?

Best,
Marielle