This is probably a non solution, but I once had a wrapper for multi-file tables.

I.e.

vw = CombinedView(viewname, file1, file2, file3)

and had python do all the internals, it was ok for read only
structures but when tables got altered, ouch!

It was essentially a "block" that used several metakit databases.  I
also kept external index tags for quicker indexing.  I.e. I had
metadata for ordered columns to quickly see which file had the
specified column.

One really interesting thing about metakit is that you can do joins on
databases that are stored in seperate files!  This won't help you
much, since you still have a total 2GB limit I think.

Brian