Well, I should get off my butt here.   I agree that the metakit
interface needs to be rewritten and I have started a swig'd version
that is going slowly.  The first pass is a "low-level" interface that
acts like C++.  If anyone wants to help me flesh it out, I'll start a
sourceforge repository so we can make the second pass to be more
pythonic.

Brian Kelley