As I mentioned in an earlier post -- the solution is to ensure that
metakit files on network shares are opened for exclusive access. You
can write your own c4_FileStrategy implementation to handle this and
use it in the c4_Storage constructor. The PathIsNetworkPath Win32 API
is also a useful function here.

No, you can't prevent an antivirus from scanning your file. Just looking at the file attributes is enough to corrupt it (if it's followed by another commit). At least, it is what I observe with my program. If you too have an application that can commit to a metakit file through a network, please make the test and tell me if you observe the same corruption. Maybe it's my program's fault, but sincerely I doubt it.