On August 9, 2019 6:50:19 PM EDT, Norman Megill <n...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>mvllmuld is essentially one direction of the more general divmuld.
>Although we would need an extra mpbird to use divmuld instead, I think
>mvllmuld is too specialized and would need a large number of uses to be
>justified.

The purpose of algebra helpers like mvllmuld is not to make the proofs shorter,
but to support a different style of proof.

The idea is to enable moving an outermost expression from one side to the other
of an equality statement using a single step. I think this approach sometimes
results in easier to understand proofs, and it is closer to how I usually think
about algebraic expressions (so I find the proofs easier to create).

The whole point of the helpers is to make moving something from one side to the
other a single step. So the fact that there are multistep approaches is true,
but not relevant. I think it is worth doing, as the helpers can produce more
human-friendly proofs (in my opinion). I do not know how many other people like
them. It appears there is at least one other person, though!

--- David A.Wheeler