I don't want to be the one making the decision on this, in part because I
won't be doing the bulk of the work, and I don't really have special
expertise in the matter.  It just seems that starting at 0 goes against
virtually all of published mathematics on matrices.

I would feel better if someone could find a book on linear algebra with
matrices starting at 0.  I was unable to find one.  Even Cormen et. al.
_Algorithms_ (which is computer-science oriented) start at 1 in their
chapter on matrices.

What is the connection between words and matrices in the literature, and
how does it handle the 0- vs. 1-based conversion?  Is all or most of the
literature on words 0-based?

BTW it seems that the main computer algebra languages start at 1
(Mathematica, Matlab and R are mentioned):
https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/86189/why-do-mathematica-list-indices-start-at-1

Norm