Welcome!

I wouldn't dismiss the 100 theorem list out of hand.  Many of them were
done by non-mathematicians with a CS bent.  It looks like you have 8 or 9
months to work on this, but even if in the end you discover you bit off
more than you can chew, the background material that you do develop can
help someone else complete it in the future.

The people here are very helpful and would probably be willing to guide you
through the process in terms of outlining what background material needs to
be developed (which is important to get right so you won't waste a lot of
time going down a wrong path), help you with proofs that you get stuck on,
etc.  Don't hesitate to ask even the most basic questions like how to get
started with Metamath.

Many of the proofs that Metamath is missing have been done with other
provers.  David Wheeler built a list of these, along with how many other
provers have proved the theorem.  That can provide a rough idea of the
difficulty - the more provers that have done a proof, the more likely it is
feasible in Metamath.

https://groups.google.com/g/metamath/c/QPOfJEnRqmU/m/zTt4GGiZDgAJ

This list from 2016 is out of date, though.  David provided a python
program there to regenerate it; perhaps you can re-run it and post the
updated list here.

In principle a proof from another prover can even provide a guide for the
Metamath version, although I don't know if anyone has actually exploited
this.  Some familiarity with the other proof language would be needed to
understand its proof, although that might not be bad thing since it would
broaden your background.

Norm