I discuss the issue of whether to call df-clab,cleq,clel axioms at the end
of the http://us.metamath.org/mpeuni/mmset.html#class section.  Most
authors call them definitions, and my feeling is that calling them axioms
would be somewhat misleading since they can (in the presence of ax-ext)
always be eliminated back to equivalent statements in the primitive
language.

While I'm not sure what the correct terminology is, class notation as a
"conservative extension" is not the same notion as calling NBG a
"conservative extension" of ZFC:  in the former case, any class expression
can be converted back and forth to an equivalent expression in the native
language, whereas in the latter case, there are statements such as global
choice that cannot be expressed in the ZFC language and have no equivalent
in ZFC.

I don't see the fact that our definitional check algorithm can't check them
as sufficient justification in itself to call them axioms.  If we had
adopted the usual textbook convention of using multipart recursive
definitions for df-oadd etc. instead of our direct definitions with `rec`,
would you want to call those axioms?

Most importantly, though, I don't want to give the reader (who typically is
not a set theorist or even a mathematician) the impression that the axioms
of set theory aren't sufficient in principle for essentially all of math.
I think that calling df-cleq an "axiom" simply due to limitations of
Metamath is not necessarily helpful to the average person just wanting an
overall understanding of the foundations of math.

You have a somewhat different goal wrt formal verification, and for your
purposes calling them ax-clab,cleq,clel (with a simple global label
replacement in set.mm) may very well be preferred.  Part of my goal has
been to break down mathematics into the smallest possible steps that an
average person can in principle verify for themselves (whether or not they
are able to grasp the big picture), while also trying to communicate in
more general terms the foundations of set theory and thus mathematics in
mmset.html, in a way that doesn't confuse people with "if ZFC is
sufficient, why do we need axioms beyond ZFC?"  I think our goals have
worked together synergistically.

Aside from ax-9, some issues with definitions are not unique to df-cleq.

1. Let us temporarily add to our propositional calculus system the
(redundant) axioms bitri and bicomi.  From those two axioms, we cannot
prove biid.  Yet from those two axioms plus df-or, we can prove an instance
of biid.  So df-or implies something stronger than those two axioms.  Since
in our system we use ax-1,2,3 to prove biid, does this mean we should
include ax-1,2,3 as additional hypotheses for df-or?

2. The cbvalv-type loophole applies to any definition with dummy variables,
not just df-cleq.  Fortunately the only two definitions with dummy
variables before set theory are df-tru and df-eu.  And fortunately df-eu
comes after cbvalv, so this loophole doesn't add strength to the language
in that case (although in theory it could disturb the "This theorem was
proved from axioms" list).  As for df-tru, well, it's had a long history of
being problematic, and a purist might want to move it below cbvalv, but
that would be ugly.

Norm