If someone wants to maintain this, that's fine with me, although adding
another file to remember to update doesn't seem ideal.

Another possibility that doesn't require a separate file is to state at the
end of a truncated list something like "Older entries can be found in
set.mm version of <date>, <GitHub download URL>".  You can build the full
list by following the links until there is no "Older entries..." line.
 (The date provides a backup in case the GitHub link stops working.  If
there is concern about availability of very old versions, the full list
could be refreshed every now and then in a special commit.)

Off and on in the past, I've thought about truncating the label change list
since we can always go back to historical versions.  One reason I didn't do
it was that the list represented a relatively small part of set.mm and it
didn't seem like an urgent matter.  The current stats are:

     Size of label change list:   598kB, or 1.4% of set.mm size
     Lines in label change list:  12350, or 1.7% of set.mm line count
     Number of lines with "moved":  3459, or 28% of label change list lines

Still, I agree some kind of truncation would be less clutter in the set.mm
header section.

Norm