CM chondrites are also ubiquitous. The most abundant foreign component of the lunar soil is chemically similar to CM chondrites. If i recall, many fireballs also seem to be CM like, although other list members would be better able to address this point. More CM chondrites would be in our meteorite collections if they weren't so friable. There are also many CM clasts in meteorite breccias, both ordinary chondrite regolith breccias like Abbott, Plainview, Dimmitt and Fayetteville, and howardites such as Kapoeta. This ubiquity mandates a reliable local source, i.e., not a comet but an asteroid. Some of the clasts in ordinary chondrites are unshocked, meaning that they came in at low relative velocities, also very un-comet like. As the asteroid guys say, the CM chondrites are probably from some types of C asteroids located at the outer reaches of the main belt; at those places ambient temperatures are low and volatiles are more likely to remain on the parent body. That is why CMs contain about 9 wt.% water (within phyllosilicates) and CI chondrites contain appreciably more.

Quoting Michael Gilmer <meteoritem...@gmail.com>:

Hi List,

This is great stuff.  Thanks to Alan and Larry for enlightening us on this.

There has been some talk of the volatiles content of CM meteorites.
So, is it safe to assume that CM meteorites also originate from the
darker outer reaches of the asteroid belt where Tagish Lake hails
from?  Meteorites rich in volatiles presumably come from that region
where solar effects are minimized?

Best regards,

MikeG

Galactic Stone & Ironworks - MikeG