Or if it hit a piece of flint.

Phil Whitmer
Joshua Tree Earth & Space Museum

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Peterson" <c...@alumni.caltech.edu>
To: <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 4:10 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Fire caused by meteorites.. Is it possible?

I've never heard a credible account of a fire started by a meteorite fall, and on theoretical grounds, there's no reason we would ever expect a meteorite to be hot enough to start a fire. Of course, that doesn't discount a secondary effect, such as a meteorite causing a fire by puncturing a propane tank, severing a power line, or any number of improbable but possible events.

Certainly, a meteorite that strikes while still traveling at a hypersonic speed could dissipate enough energy to start a fire, but such events are exceedingly rare, and would be expected to leave very obvious evidence (such as a crater).

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com