Pete and list,

Unfortunately the method you use does not effectively de-gas water, as
exposure to the atmosphere will allow atmospheric gasses to continue
to dissolve into solution; it is the atmospheric gasses that cause
water to be corrosive.  To de-gas water you can:

- Boil it
- Sonicate under vacuum
- Use a vacuum degasser
- Bubble He through it
- Etc.

But unless you store your degassed water in an air-tight container
gasses will begin to dissolve back into solution almost immediately.

Michael in so. Cal.