Has anyone ever speculated about the fate of silicate inclusions/graphite nodules/etc. near the surface of iron meteorites, and ablate as they enter the atmosphere?  I seem to remember long ago hearing a theory that this was one explanation of the origin of tektites.  Ring a bell with anyone?  Thoughts?

Regards,
Jeannie Devon

Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 5:41 PM
Subject: [meteorite-list] Tektites

  Adam, List,
It would stand to reason that if these are in fact a part of the fall, they will be magnetic, is this the case? If so, I would propose that they are remnants of the formation of the crust, that were caught up in the stones fall, following it to its destination, perhaps in an 'eddy' area behind the stone.
As far as the  shingle thing goes, I have climbed upon the roof and examined the material, no tektites here! (but there is some cool stuff!) Of course that does not discount that theory completely.
They do look like miniatures of my tektite collection. Discovery is not impossible!
Always Optimistic;-)
Larry